Physical fitness and sports are integral to St. Raphael School’s mission of developing the whole child. Participation in athletics facilitates integrity, teamwork, competition, skill development, and fitness, all of which are important for a healthy life.
Students are involved in a variety of extracurricular sports after school that are affiliated with St. Raphael School and independant athletic leagues. Two sports that have significant participation at SRS are basketball (City of Rockville and CYO) and and track (City of Rockville). Teams are typically created at the grade level with parent coach volunteers. Staff are able to advise families about student participation in various athletic programs.
St. Raphael Basketball - Winter
For boys and girls
Organized through the City of Rockville
Modified playing rules in effect
Parent coaches inform participants about practices and games
Typically, there is one practice during the week, starting the beginning of December
Games start at the beginning of January
Registration is held in the fall
Inclement Weather: Call the City of Rockville Sports Weather Line at 240-314-5055
For boys and girls
Organized through the Catholic Youth Organization
Practices are held twice a week from November through March
Games typically begin in January and are held on weekends
Teams are grouped by grade: 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8, and continue through high school
All students who sign up will play
Registration opens in the fall
Questions: Contact the CYO Committee
St. Raphael Track - Spring
The St. Raphael Track Team competes in the City of Rockville Youth Sports League and is open to all athletes ages 6-14. The league is instructional and recreational, so everyone gets an opportunity to participate in all events.
The Track and Field Program teaches the fundamentals and encourages individual contribution and teamwork. The experience consistently bonds the community within and across teams, schools, ages, and abilities. The competitive element results in an improvement in mental and physical performance.
Practices and meets are held on weeknights so that weekends are free.
- Practices begin early April
- Meets are Wednesday evenings beginning the end of April, with City Conference Finals in late May/early June
Meet events are by division:
- Bantam (age 6-8): Relays, sprints (50M, 100M), distance (400M, 800M), standing broad jump, soft javelin, and softball throws
- PeeWee (age 9-10): Relays, sprints (50M, 100M, 200M), distance (400M, 800M), standing broad jump, soft javelin, and softball throws
- Junior (age 11-12): Relays, sprints (100M, 200M, 400M), distance (800M, 1600M), running long jump, soft javelin, and softball throws
- Intermediate (age 13-14): Relays, sprints (100M, 200M, 400M), distance (800M, 1600M), running long jump, soft javelin, and shot put
We look forward to your participation and encourage you to recruit friends to join the team as well. Anyone who lives or attends a school in the City of Rockville is eligible. Registration opens in the winter. After you add the course to your cart and select your runner, click on "details" and select St. Raphael team.
Questions: Contact Coach Mike Gregory
SPARK Room: Before-School Fitness, Academic Year
Students in fifth grade and higher are able to arrive before school starts to get a fitness boost by using the elliptical machine, stationary bikes or punching bags.
- Grades: 5-8
- Time: 7:30-8 a.m.
- Instructor: Andrea Kalochristianikas