Physical fitness and sports are integral to St. Raphael School’s mission of developing the whole child. Participation in athletics facilitates integrity, teamwork, competition, skill development, and fitness, all of which are important for a healthy life.
Students are involved in a variety of extracurricular sports after school that are affiliated with St. Raphael School and independant athletic leagues. Two sports that have significant participation at SRS are basketball (City of Rockville and CYO) and and track (City of Rockville). Teams are typically created at the grade level with parent coach volunteers. Staff are able to advise families about student participation in various athletic programs.
SPARK Room: Before-School Fitness, Academic Year
Students in fifth grade and higher are able to arrive before school starts to get a fitness boost by using the elliptical machine, stationary bikes or punching bags.
- Grades: 5-8
- Time: 7:30-8 a.m.
- Instructor: Danny Phillips
St. Raphael Basketball Team, winter
Grades K-2. Basketball is available for boys and girls through the City of Rockville.
Grades 3-12. Basketball is available for boys and girls through the Catholic Youth Organization.
Spring Track - Run, Angels, Run!
The St. Raphael Track Team competes in the City of Rockville Youth Sports League and is open to all athletes ages 6-14. The league is instructional and recreational so everyone gets an equal opportunity to participate in all events.
Every season is a wonderful experience for runners, parents, and coaches. The Track and Field Program teaches the fundamentals and encourages individual contribution and teamwork. The experience consistently bonds the community together within and across teams, schools, ages, and abilities. The competitive element results in mental and physical performance improvement.
Practices and meets are held on weeknights so that weekends are free.
- Practices begin early April
- Track meets are Wednesday evenings beginning the end of April, with City Conference Finals in late May/early June
Meet events are by division:
- Bantam (born 2010-2012) - Relays, sprints (50M, 100M), distance (400M, 800M), standing broad jump, soft javelin, and softball throws
- Peewees (born 2008-2009) - Relays, sprints (50M, 100M, 200M), distance (400M, 800M), standing broad jump, soft javelin, and softball throws
- Juniors (born 2006-2007) - Relays, sprints (100M, 200M, 400M), distance (800M, 1600M), running long jump, soft javelin, and softball throws
- Intermediates (born 2004-2005) - Relays, sprints (100M, 200M, 400M), distance (800M, 1600M), running long jump, soft javelin, and shot put
We look forward to your participation and encourage you to recruit friends to join the team as well
- NOTE: After you add the course to your cart and select your runner, click on “details” and select St. Raphael team.
- Questions: Contact Coach Mike Gregory